Wildflowers at Indianola

What's happening now at Indianola, upcoming events, what's in bloom, birds spotted, etc.

Wildflowers at Indianola

Postby Wildflower Guy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi all - I was there in early November and saw lots of small bluebonnets just starting to emerge. Their leaf spread was about the size of a half-dollar. By the last week in December they were 4 to 5" in width. With all the rain we had in the fall, it should be a very good year for Indianola wildflowers. They should be blooming in early February.
I'll keep you posted.
Wildflower Guy
Wildflower Guy

Re: Wildflowers at Indianola

Postby Wildflower Guy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Saw 2 blooming Bluebonnets today near Bluebonnet Hill (Jan 3, 10). The plants in this area are further advanced in growth than those I've seen so far this year in other locations around I.
Wildflower Guy

Postby Wildflower Guy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:01 pm

As of the end of February not much blooming yet with the exception of a few young yuccas. Some Texas Mountain Laurels have just started to show some purple buds. Should be a very strong blooming season once it gets started!
Wildflower Guy

Postby Wildflower Guy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:24 pm

As of Sunday, March 7, along Magic Ridge there are quite a few yuccas now in bloom as well as some laurels. There should be a good showing by next weekend!
Wildflower Guy

Postby Wildflower Guy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Bluebonnets were pretty much at their peak this weekend (last w/end of March 2010) but some great color will last for another week or two. Mountain Laurels are definitely in the last part of their color but some are still very exceptional and their fragrance is still detectable from a distance. Many Yuccas are looking pretty nice still, too.
In each spring Indianola comes to life once more...
Wildflower Guy

Postby gcf1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Was at Indianola this afternoon and there are still some locations with very nice blooms in progress. Saw some fresh bluebonnets and plenty of others, too. Mtn Laurels are now producing seeds and some are very heavy with them. Many bluebonnets are starting their seeding process and are quite full, too.

A few fishermen were giving it a try at the lake along the shore on Brighton. They were staying out of the wind on the bay, for sure - just have never seen anyone catch a fish there; me included.
Gary
gcf1
Site Admin

Return to Current Events