Wittnebert family in Indianola

Do you have a descendant with a connection to Indianola you are trying to locate or would like to talk about? Post it here.

Wittnebert family in Indianola

Postby BevDaro » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:40 pm

I am researching my great-grandmother's family in Indianola, Texas.
Her father was Ernst Wittnebert. Ernst was from Erfurt, which was at that time in Prussia.
Ernst boarded the ship the August Meline in Bremen on Sept. 16,1845. The ship arrived in
Galveston on Dec. 9, 1845. He had bought land in Menard Co. before he left Germany, so he
may have gone there first. Ernst was in Indianola by May of 1846, when he was enlisted in Company H
of the militia. There is no other record of him until March 1850 when he bought Lots 3 & 4, Block 28 in
the town of Indianola. On July 07, 1850 Ernst married Eliza Russe in Port Lavaca (all census records give
her name as Louisa). Ernst bought 4 acres "being outlots of Indianola South of Huck's Garden" on Nov. 03,
1850. In March, 1851 Ernst registered the cattle brand EW, and registered the brand EW (with a curved line
beneath it) on Feb. 17, 1862. The family is listed in the 1860 Census with the surname spelled "Whitinburg".
My great-grandmother Laura Wittnebert Daross told my father (her grandson) that her father Ernst was
gunned down on the porch of his house by a man on horseback. The date of this incident was May 1, 1866,
according to the application of probate of his estate by his widow. I assume Ernst would have been buried in
the Old Town Cemetery. My great-grandmother was married in 1869 and was living in Cuero in 1874, but her
mother and brothers remained in Indianola. They are listed in the 1870 and 1880 Census.
I am wondering if there is any record or report of the shooting of my great-great-grandfather, or where I could look
to find some answers.
BevDaro

Re: Wittnebert family in Indianola

Postby Rogers » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi,
Sorry I don't have info on the Wittenberts' but I am interested in your mention of Huck's garden. Huck must be H.J. Huck my great great grandfather. Any info at all, garden or other, will be most appreciated. I am always poking around Indianola stuff so if I do cokme across the name I will let you know!
Rogers

Postby BevDaro » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:51 pm

The information I had about Ernst Wittnebert buying land "4 acres being outlots of Indianola South of Huck's Garden"
was from a list of deeds I had gotten from the office of the Calhoun County clerk. The property was sold by William M. Cook on 11/03/1850. Since the word Garden is capitalized, it must have been a specific location, not just a yard.

The book "Indianola and Matagorda Island, 1837 -1887" by Linda Wolff mentions your g-g-grandfather on page 14:
Late 1845 -- Heinrich Huck, a New Orleans merchant, learns that thousands of immigrants are camped on the beach at Indian Point unable to build even crude shelters because they have no lumber. He fills a schooner to capacity with large stores of lumber and medicine and sails to Indian Point to establish a lumberyard".

I did find a report on the shoot of my great-grandfather in the Galveston Daily News on Newspaper Archives. It said that
"a citizen of Old town, near Indianola, named Wittenburg, was shot while at supper, and he died two days following".
So he must have been shot on April 29, 1866, and died on May 1. I haven't found anything about anyone being arrested
or tried for the shooting.

Good luck with your research.
BevDaro

Postby Rogers » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks Bev!
Rogers

Return to Genealogy/History